Tuesday, April 29, 2008

TWD- Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake


This week we are baking a honey cake picked by Caitlin of Engineer Baker has chosen…Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake. I am excited to taste this cake. The combination of cornmeal and ricotta and figs should be amazing. I added some thyme to is as per Dorie's suggestion and I think it will add a nice dimension. The batter sure tasted good! I have made a similar cake form one of Lynne Rosetta Kasper's cookbooks. It was a great chewy cake. I am taking this one to my book club tonight and will serve it with a fig compote and creme fraiche and hopefully some Earl Grey tea. Sounds good to me! I will post some pictures of the cut cake after my book club tomorrow. I cant wait to see the figs inside the cake!




Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake

About 16 moist, plump dried Mission or Kadota figs, stemmed
1 c. medium-grain polenta or yellow cornmeal
½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 c. ricotta
1/3 c. tepid water
¾ c. sugar
¾ c. honey (if you’re a real honey lover, use a full-flavored honey such as chestnut, pine, or buckwheat)
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs

Getting Ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter a 10 ½-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom and put it on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
Check that the figs are, indeed, moist and plump. If they are the least bit hard, toss them into a small pan of boiling water and steep for a minute, then drain and pat dry. If the figs are large (bigger than a bite), snip them in half.
Whisk the polenta, flour, baking powder, and salt together.
Working with a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the ricotta and water together on low speed until very smooth. With the mixer at medium speed, add the sugar, honey, and lemon zest and beat until light. Beat in the melted butter, then add the eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture is smooth. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until they are fully incorporated. You’ll have a sleek, smooth, pourable batter.
Pour about one third of the batter into the pan and scatter over the figs. Pour in the rest of the batter, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, if necessary, and dot the batter evenly with the chilled bits of butter.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. The cake should be honey brown and pulling away just a little from the sides of the panm, and the butter will have left light-colored circles in the top. Transfer the cake to a rack and remove the sides of the pan after about 5 minutes. Cool to warm, or cool completely.


11 comments:

Charleston Catholic / Clay Center Project said...

Wow, that looks good!

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Pretty! I was wondering how the thyme would work out. Such a different kind of cake.

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Donna said...

WOW! That came out beautiful! Good job!
Donna

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about the thyme also. I didn't have any onhand or I would have tried it also.

Anne said...

Looks yummy! I'm sure everyone will love it!

CB said...

oohhh I missed the thyme suggestion so I am curious to see what your book clubers think! Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Jayne said...

Looks really pretty - nice job!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Can't wait to hear what you think about the thyme in the cake. Looks like you did a great job and I am sure everyone will enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

You will have to post about the tast of the thyme. I thought about trying it but chickened out.

Mari said...

I like your serving ideas, sounds delicious!

Anonymous said...

your cake looks great and i'm so happy to hear the thyme turned out well...i might have to add some next time. :)