Thursday, April 10, 2008

TWD Marshmallows



I was excited when I saw this pick. How cool to make your own marshmallows. I am attending a baby shower this weekend so I decided to make a few batches of different fruit flavors. I made strawberry-rhubarb, raspberry and chocolate. The fruit ones both had a beautiful pink glow. Very subtle but beautiful. I forgot to put the 2T of corn syrup in the first batch but they seem to be fine. I wonder what the benefit or purpose of the corn syrup is, just to sweeten or for elasticity?



Overall a very simple and satisfying recipe. The only part that needs attention is the sugar with the candy thermometer. I sometimes have trouble cleaning the pan but just put water in the pan and boil on the stove for a minute or so and it is clean.


Unflavored gelatin is sorta unappetizing. Weird smell.


Spring in here!




Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of my finished cut marshmallows and they were eaten up quickly.

15 comments:

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Fruity marshmallows for a baby shower–what a great idea! I'm sure they were a big hit. Way to go!

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Marie Rayner said...

Glad you were happy with your marshmallows! They got snuffled up here too, but not before I snapped a few photos. Nobody eats the goods here until photos are snapped upon pain of death!!!

Anne said...

Great tip about the cleaning the pan... I just scrubed and scrubed and scrubed! I love the flavors you tried- great job!

April said...

Great flavors!

Anonymous said...

Your flavors sound just lovely, and perfect for a springtime baby shower!

Dianne's Dishes said...

Oh rhubarb sounds fabulous!

Mari said...

What a perfect treat for a baby shower! Your friends are certainly lucky! I'm impressed with the strawberry-rhubarb flavor combo, too!

Annemarie said...

WOW! Those sound AMAZING!

Beth G. @SweetLifeKitchen said...

That looks and sounds INCREDIBLE-- great job!!

Natalie said...

Rhubarb! I had a passing thought that I should try to come up with something like that, but I'd already done mango, strawberry, and chocolate and the hubs was starting to revolt. :)

Great job, and I like your pics!

Donna said...

Awwww, come on. No pics of the finished mallows? I'm sure they were gorgeous! My husband often says "Can we eat this now, or are you gonna take pictures first?"
Donna

LyB said...

Fruit flavored marshmallows sound delicious! Maybe if mine had been eaten quicker they wouldn't have separated... Oh, well!

Zakia / Avenue Z Desserts said...

im sure they were delicous!

Saikat said...

Hi,
Saikat from BlogsJam here.
Wanted to email you, but could not locate your email address on the
blog. we have 2 cool widgets ( a slideshow widget and a content widget
) which can help enhance site interaction and reader's experience. pl contact me at saibose@gmail.com so that i can send you the slideshow widget for your blog.

thx-Saikat

Dolores said...

Homemade marshmallows for a baby shower... brilliant! And I think the corn syrup makes the sugar behave better as it dissolves, although I'm not sure where I read that now.