Tuesday, May 20, 2008

TWD- Traditional Madeleines

Up until this weekend, I have never made Madeleine's before. I love there shape and have always wondered about the texture and the flavor of these cookies. Well first off I would have to question if they are really cookies. They seem more like cake or muffins to me. Not that that's bad, but not at all what I was expecting.

My first batch came out overfilled and the shape did not seem like a Madeleine, but more like a strange muffin. The bottoms had OK shell imprint.


So my next batch I made sure to fill way less in each , but forgot to spray the pan so they were really hard to get out. These I tossed on some sugar. My last batch I overfilled again, and dipped the corners in a lemon icing.
I did get nice "humps" on the backs of the cookies. And they are very tender and springy. I was just disappointed in the edges. Maybe its the pan! Or maybe I just put to much batter in each mold.

Also in half of the batter I added the spices and it is a very nice flavor with the lemon.

I will be making more of these and trying different flavors. I am going to make the chocolate stuffed ones next I think.

Traditional Madeleine's
Source: Dorie Greenspan, Baking: From My Home to Yours

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
½ cup sugar
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Working in a mixer bowl, or in a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingertips until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the eggs to the bowl. Working with the whisk attachment, or with a hand mixer, beat the eggs and sugar together on medium-high speed until pale, thick and light, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in the vanilla. With a rubber spatula, very gently fold in the dry ingredients, followed by the melted butter. Press a piece of plastic wrap against the surface of the batter and refrigerate it for at least 3 hours, or for up to 2 days. This long chill period will help the batter form the hump that is characteristic of Madeleine's. (For convenience, you can spoon the batter into the Madeleine molds, cover and refrigerate, then bake the cookies directly from the fridge; see below for instructions on prepping the pans.)
GETTING READY TO BAKE:

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter 12 full-size Madeleine molds, or up to 36 mini Madeline molds, dust the insides with flour and tap out the excess. Or, if you have a nonstick pan (or pans), give it a light coating of vegetable cooking spray. If you have a silicone pan, no prep is needed. Place the pan(s) on a baking sheet.
Spoon the batter into the molds, filling each one almost to the top. Don’t worry about spreading the batter evenly, the oven’s heat will take care of that. Bake large Madeline's for 11 to 13 minutes, and minis for 8 to 10 minutes, or until they are golden and the tops spring back when touched. Remove the pan(s) from the oven and release the Madeline's from the molds by rapping the edge of the pan against the counter. Gently pry any recalcitrant Madeline's from the pan using your fingers or a butter knife. Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool to just warm or to room temperature.
If you are making minis and have more batter, bake the next batch(es), making certain that you cool, then properly prepare the pan(s) before baking.
Just before serving, dust the Madeleine's with confectioners’ sugar.
Makes 12 large or 36 mini cookies

Serving: Serve the cookies when they are only slightly warm or when they reach room temperature, with tea or espresso.

Storing: Although the batter can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, the Madeleine's should be eaten soon after they are made. You can keep them overnight in a sealed container, but they really are better on day 1. If you must store them, wrap them airtight and freeze them; they’ll keep for up to 2 months.


19 comments:

CRS said...

I'm sorry you had so much trouble with them, but hope they were delicious!! They look very nice dipped in the iciing.

Engineer Baker said...

Nice humps! Hopefully they still tasted good?

Bumblebutton said...

You got humps! I'm jealous. Good luck with the chocolate stuffed version!

Garrett said...

I had the same problem with my edges turning dark. I think it's the dark pan burning the edges, but I'm not about to go and buy an aluminum pan just to check.

Christine said...

I overfilled my pans too! You got such nice humps I am jealous!

CB said...

Bummer you had pan troubles but those bumps are perfect!
Clara @ I♥food4thought

Rebecca of "Ezra Pound Cake" said...

Aw, look at those humps! I'm all about trying the chocolate ones, too.

Rebecca
http://www.ezrapoundcake.com

Dianne's Dishes said...

Sorry they were so much trouble, but they look good. Hope you enjoyed eating them. :)

mimi said...

your humps look lovely, but sorry you had problems with the brown edges and pan trouble. but i bet they still tasted great!

Unknown said...

I think they look great and admire your tenacity! :-)

Dolores said...

Another madeleine newbie! I had the same struggle you did trying to figure out how much was enough batter for the molds. They taste great though!

Gretchen Noelle said...

These look terrific!!!! Outstanding!

Casa Costello said...

Wow those humps are amazing ! Hx

ostwestwind said...

I am so jealous about the humps, no worry about the edges..
Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Jaime said...

those are wonderful, huge humps!

Mari said...

You've got the coveted humps, feel proud!

LyB said...

Well, they certainly look beautiful and delicious!

Jayne said...

They look good - overfilled or whatever. Nothing a little glaze can't fix!

Jennifer said...

I had no idea you had this blog!! the Madeleines look wonderful!