Friday, March 28, 2008

Daring Bakers Challenge: Perfect Party Cake by Dorie

This is my first post for The Daring Bakers. This months recipe was selected by Morven of Food Art and Random Thoughts. Check our her blog and check out The Daring Bakers blog to see other peoples results.
WOW! What a cake. I loved every part of this cake. I have always wanted to make this kind of butter cream icing. My favorite bakery from home, Bethel Bakery had icing like this. Who knew it was so easy to make. For this challenge I stayed pretty true to the original. I used lime zest instead of lemon in the batter. I stuck with the raspberry preserves in the layers and also added fresh berries to the top of my cake.


I had a bit of trouble cutting the two cakes in half. I always cut unevenly, as you can see in the layers. It doesn't effect the taste, but visually is unappealling. I have seen people use dental floss and pull through the cake instead of cutting, maybe I will try next time.

I think the next time I make this cake I will just make a vanilla butter cream, or almond and put a custard or pastry cream in the layers. I think toasted almonds on the out side instead of coconut would be great too.


For the Cake:

2 ¼ cups cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups whole milk or buttermilk
4 large egg whites
1 ½ cups sugar
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
½ teaspoon pure lemon extract

For the Butter cream:
1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 large lemons)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For Finishing:

2/3 cup seedless raspberry preserves,
Stirred vigorously or warmed gently till spreadable
About 1 ½ cups sweetened shredded coconut

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Butter two 9-x-2 –inch round cake pans and line the bottom of each with parchment paper. Put the pans on a baking sheet.

To make the cake: Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk together the milk and egg whites in a medium bowl. Put the sugar and lemon zest in a mixing bowl and rub them together with your fingers until the sugar is moist and fragrant. Add the butter and, working with the paddle attachment, beat at medium speed for a full 3 minutes, until the butter and sugar are very light. Beat in the extract, and then add 1/3 of the flour mixture, still beating on medium speed. Beat in half of the milk /egg mixture, then beat in half of the remaining dry ingredients until incorporated. Add the rest of the milk and eggs, beating until the batter is homogeneous, then add the last of the dry ingredients. Finally, give the batter a good 2-minute beating to ensure that it is thoroughly mixed and well aerated. Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the tops with a rubber spatula.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cakes are well risen and springy to the touch. Transfer the cakes to cooling racks and cool or 5 minutes, then unmold them and peel off paper liners. Invert and cool to room temperature right side up.
To make the Butter cream: Put the sugar and egg whites in a heat proof mixing bowl, fit the bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk constantly, keeping the mixture over the heat, until it feels hot to the touch, about 3 minutes. The sugar should be dissolved, and the mixture will look like a shiny marshmallow cream. Remove the bowl from the heat.
Working with the whisk attachment, beat the meringue on medium speed until it is cool, about 5 minutes. Switch to the paddle attachment and add the butter a stick at a time, beating until smooth. Once all the butter is in, beat the butter cream on medium-speed until it is thick and very smooth, 6-10 minutes. During this time, the butter cream may curdle or spate-just keep beating and it will come together again. On medium speed, gradually beat in the lemon Juice, waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding more, and then add the vanilla. You should have a shiny, smooth, velvety, pristine white bitter cream. Press a piece of plastic against the surface of the butte cream and set aside briefly.
To assemble the cake: Using a sharp serrated knife, and a gentle sawing motion, slice each layer horizontally in half. Put one layer cut side up in a cake plate. Spread it with on third of the preserves. Cover the jam evenly with about a quarter of the butter cream. Top with another layer, spread with preserves and butter cream and then do the same with the third layer (you’ll have used all the jam and have butter cream left over). Place the last layer cut side down on the top of the cake and uses the remaining butter cream to frost the sides and top. Press the coconut into the frosting, patting gently all over the sides and top.
Taken from:
Baking: From My Home to Yours
Page 250-252 by Dorie Greenspan

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! Will you make a cake like that for my birthday, and then jump out of it? And then we can eat the cake, drink white wine, and talk about what we'll do that day! Seriously Win, you are doing some fabulous stuff here... the pictures make me miss you even more...

SaraLynn said...

Your cake is stunning! I love it!

Gretchen Noelle said...

Great job on your first DB challenge! I love that you thought the butter cream was so easy, so many find it really challenging! Looks delicious!

Dolores said...

Congratulations on your first daring baker challenge, and welcome to the madness. I love your ideas for playing with it "next time" - a pastry cream filling and toasted almond garnish sound splendid!

Thistlemoon said...

YOur cake looks gorgeous! I love coconut so this one looks great to me!

Welcome to The Foodie Blogroll! :)

nicole said...

The cake really does look good.

CRS said...

Wow, that looks beautiful! Great job!

Sheltie Girl said...

You did a wonderful job on your cake!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Anonymous said...

Good job on your cake; I think I will try to make this cake. Everyone's perfect party cake challenge has turned out so well!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! You did a great job. I love the pond of raspberries in the middle.

Julia from Dozen Flours said...

I just adore the name of your blog. When I was little, my mom used to be a waitress and the cook's name at the restaurant was Stella. She and my mom were the best of friends. Eventually we moved away and my mom and I would reminisce about Stella's cooking, especially her biscuits. Anyway, I digress!

Congrats on your first DB challenge. It was mine too. I didn't stray too far from the challenge, except that I added lemon curd and substituted dark cherry preserves instead of the raspberries. You cake looks really lovely.

Bravo! I'll definitely be on my list to check out for the next event.

Unknown said...

When you say sugar in the buttercream icing recipe, is that powdered or granulated?(like bethel bakery)