Thursday, March 13, 2008

Allspice Muffins


I was looking for a new muffin to try and decided on Allspice Muffins from Dorie Greenspan. They have a crumb top and turned out really great. I have never used just allspice to season a baked good before and was happy with the result. It has a flavor all its own.


While making these muffins I was thinking about the ingredients.


The flour I use is from
King Aurthur Flour. I love this flour and this company. They are located in rural Vermont and have a wonderful catalogue and many cookbooks. If you happen to be in Vermont you can take cooking classes also.


Instead of buttering and flouring my tins I have been using Bakers Joy. It saves a ton of time and is very neat and easy to use. It seems to always give perfect results on the crust too. I would highly recommend to anyone to try this product. And to try these muffins!

Allspice Crumb Muffins
by Dorie Greenspan

For topping
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 t ground allspice
5 T cold unsalted butter, cut into bits

For Muffins
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 t ground allspice
1/4 t salt
1/4 c light brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs
3/4 c whole milk
1/4 t pure vanilla
grated zest of 1 lemon

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter or spray 12 regular muffin tins.

To make topping: Put the flour, brown sugar and allspice in a small bowl and sift them together with your fingers to blend. Add the bits of cold butter and toss to coat, then use your fingers to work the butter into the dry ingredients until an irregular crumb if formed.

To make Muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, allspice and salt. Stir in the brown sugar, making sure there are no lumps. In a large glass measuring cup, whisk the melted butter, eggs and milk and vanilla together until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and with the whisk or rubber spatula, gently but quickly blend. The batter will be lumpy. Stir in the lemon zest. Divide batter evenly between tins. Sprinkle the crumb topping over each muffin and use your finger tips to gently push the crumbs into the batter.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Transfer to a rack to cool for 5 minutes then remove from the mold.

2 comments:

michelle @ thursday night smackdown said...

you can't beat a good crumb topping with a stick. also, how awesome is baker's joy? it changed my life.

Di said...

Okay, I'm jealous. I've made these muffins a couple times, and my crumbs spread out way too much instead of looking nice and crumby like yours. The second time I even left the crumb mixture in the fridge overnight, so I know it was cold. I've been thinking that I might need to add a bit more flour to the crumbs next time to help them hold their shape better. Did you do anything special?

Oh, and Pam for Baking works as well as Baker's Joy. Either one makes life so much easier!